Updating your Living Room
The living room is the place that your family and guests first come to when they come home. It is a multi-functional area in that it is used to both entertain and relax.
A living room that is stylish and functional can change the entire vibe of your home. It can make your family want to be home more and make your guests not want to leave! So make sure that you pull out all the stops when you design and plan your living room.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Whether you have a living room that is palatial in size, or a smaller space that is more urban in its dimensions, you can make the most out of it by decluttering. Eliminate all that is superfluous, tacky, damaged, not in use, or unappealing. Make sure that all wires are hidden behind cabinets or shelves.
- After decluttering, the next step would be organising your stuff into specific areas, such as your game consoles in one place, TV/cable/satellite boxes in one place, DVD players in one place, etc. Get cabinets or shelves where all this can be stored for maximum efficiency and ease of use.
- Make sure to have one statement piece in your living room. This could range from a statement wall (perhaps wallpaper or art that is framed in an attractive way) or it could be a statement furniture piece, feature lights etc.
- Rearrange your living room furniture, keeping in mind how people enter, exit, and move about in the room. This makes it more convenient for everyone and also more attractive and neater in appearance. Make sure furniture is organised in such a way that you can have cozy conversations with your guests or family.
- Try changing the focal point of your living room from the TV to something else. Perhaps a window from where you can see the beauty of nature? Or perhaps the fireplace?
- Use rugs and table lamps (or even floor lamps) to make your space more warm and friendly. These also help to define spaces in the room, making it more inviting for someone to layout a board game and start playing or just throw down a cushion and start reading!
- Get custom-made furniture that is perfect for the dimensions of your space. If you have space constraints, then get the furniture to double up as storage space as well. Convert your subwoofer to a side table even!
- Use pops of white to act as a balancing accent for the dark colors in your room. For example, use a white lamp shade, white chair rail, white coffee table, etc., if your walls are a dark color.
- Mix patterns (on rugs, curtains, cushion covers) to accentuate solid colors (on the sofa, ottoman, chair, etc.)
Here are some related articles you might find useful:
It’s the room you chill out in most, so make sure it looks mod and feels ultra-cozy. Here’s how…
Living room built-ins can add style and personality as well as storage. And because built-ins can be designed to cater to your household’s specific needs, the options are virtually endless…
Looking for a Carpenter or Joiner & Cabinet Maker?
They could help you declutter and style up your living area with custom made cabinets or shelves!
For all your carpentry, joinery and cabinetry needs find local, professional and experienced tradesmen with Riverina Tradies! Check out our business listings here: